As the UK prepares for new data protection legislation and to leave the European Union, what role could you play in influencing the changing privacy and information rights landscape, whilst helping people understand and exercise their rights?
Our work as the UK’s privacy and information rights regulator has never been more important.
Data protection is the largest area of work for us, one of 11 pieces of legislation we oversee, and we hold a unique position as a regulator across the whole of the private, public and third sectors.
The arrival of the new EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and UK Data Protection Act, means huge change for the regulator and we are currently strengthening and expanding our team to meet our new obligations and provide excellent public services under our increased regulatory remit.
About the role
This is truly an exciting time to join the ICO and take up this role. The Head of Risk and Governance and Data Protection Officer who is responsible for critically important activities such as:
- overseeing the development and implementation of effective strategies, policies and procedures to ensure appropriate and proportionate standards of internal governance and risk management are maintained for the ICO.
- embedding appropriate strategies, policies and procedures to maintain standards of good practice and compliance for the ICO’s processing of personal information.
- having strategic oversight of the ICO’s Information Governance function, ensuring high standards of information management and security across the ICO.
- maintaining strategic oversight of a Private Office service, supporting the Commissioner and members of the Senior Leadership Team.
- having strategic oversight of the ICO’s Corporate Governance function, ensuring that risk and opportunities are managed and co-ordinated effectively across the organisation.
- being the main point of contact with the ICO’s Government sponsor department (DCMS) regarding all matters of corporate governance and sponsorship.
You will have a degree, relevant professional qualification or equivalent experience, with at least one professional qualification relevant to information rights law or equivalent experience demonstrating this level of ability.
With significant senior level management experience you will have a strong track record in leading an internal governance/audit and risk management environment or equivalent.
Able to demonstrate experience of leading significant change projects from concept to sign off, including the development of complex business cases.
You will be adept at managing in a risk based environment and have the ability to assess and interpret complex strategic risk and engage in debate about these issues.
How to apply
Please upload a copy of your CV along with a covering letter which explains both why you are attracted to this post and why you are the right person for us. Please limit your covering letter to no more than one page. For further information and to apply please click the 'Apply' button.
For a confidential discussion contact:
Jamie Houlders T: 0113 2003733
The closing date for applications is 12 noon, Monday 30 July, 2018