Hanami International have been selected as the exclusive retained recruiters of a Director of Internal Audit, Europe for a leading building materials business.
This business is a Fortune 500 company, listed in London and Dublin and is a constituent member of the FTSE 100 index, the EURP STOXX 50 index and the ISEQ 20. It operates in 31 countries in 3,800 locations, employing 87,000 people. The European side of the business has 2,000 locations and employs 42,600 people.
The company's Global Internal Audit team comprises 65 auditors incorporating key skills in finance, internal controls, SOX, IT, data analytics and business consulting. Their ambition is to be a world class internal audit function supporting the business' objective of being the leading building products company in the world.
In accordance with this ambition, they have decided to create a brand new role at the 'Director of Internal Audit, Europe' level. The successful candidate will manage the Europe based internal audit team of circa 30 people, based primarily in Ireland, UK and Netherlands and will be required to develop and execute the risk based audit plan for the European businesses. The plan will be subject to approval by the Group Head of Internal Audit and the Audit Committee. The Director of Internal Audit, Europe will also be required to complete other ad hoc assignments including specific controls, fraud and special reviews as requested by the Group Head of Internal Audit and as agreed with the Audit Committee and or Group, Division and Cluster management. With this appointment, the IA function are seeking to augment its advisory capability in addition to continuing to deliver its continuing assurance programme.
The newly appointed Director of Internal Audit, Europe will be a person of integrity who is able to balance the highest professional standards with a flexible pragmatism that considers the needs of the organisation in developing and implementing the internal audit approach. The Director of Internal Audit must have strong people and management skills and have a strong capability in IT matters in terms of developing the approach and the work of internal audit.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Support the development and implementation of the Europe component of the global IA strategy 2017 to 2021.
- Develop the annual risk based Internal Audit work plan for inclusion in the overall IA plan presented to the Audit Committee.
- Lead the delivery of the annual Europe IA plan ensuring that that all assignments are planned, reviewed and reported to the highest quality standards. The delivery of the plan should ensure the maintenance and enhancement of the strong control environment while also identifying value enhancing opportunities.
- Manage and develop the IT audit function and further embed the IT audit component into the integrated audit.
- Work with group internal controls/SOX project management office on controls and SOX compliance issues.
- Prepare periodic updates for the Audit Committee and when appropriate/as requested attend Audit Committee meetings in person (typically annually).
- Manage direct reports and audit team members in their current roles and prepare them for future roles in the Group.
- Create an environment where the teams’ skills and capabilities are advanced through individual development and training plans.
- Recruit and develop a strong audit team ensuring the teams skills sets respond to the changing requirements of a global internal audit team.
- Manage relationships with the business representatives across Group (including key second line functions), Divisions and Cluster Groups.
- Prepare periodic updates for the European Senior Management (European Executive Board).
- Manage the in-sourcing of specialist skills from both internal and external parties to support.
- Participate in internal and external professional development programs.
- Complete other assignments as requested by the Audit Committee, Group, Divisions and Cluster Group management. Such reviews would generally cover specific fraud, controls and other ad hoc investigations.
- Work with the external Auditor to coordinate audit activities in the Europe and develop IA reliance opportunities
- Participate in the 5-year External Quality Assessment process
- Promotion of cutting edge practices (data analytics, continuous auditing, second line defense levering)
- Manage the Europe component of the IA budget
Education / Experience Preferences:
- Professional accounting qualification (ACA, CPA, ACCA, Dutch RA and or CIA) with significant post qualification experience.
- Significant audit/accounting/business experience either in a public accounting firm or other Finance/Internal Audit function (at senior leadership equivalent level or above).
- Experience in the (Building Products, Materials, Distribution and or Manufacturing) sectors would be helpful, not essential.
- Experience in corporate governance, risk and compliance.
- Additional language capability in Dutch, French, German is helpful but not essential.
- Strong people, management and leadership/motivational skills (customer focus, development of direct reports, drive for results)
- Advanced understanding and experience of business processes
- Strong financial and analytical skills
- Extensive experience in corporate governance and risk management
- Commitment to best practice and staying current on audit issues
- Team player with excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Ambitious with desire to progress and develop into other roles within the Group
- The position is based in Dublin or Amsterdam
- Given the scale and geographic diversity of the Group’s European operations, the role will involve significant travel commitments.
If you are interested in taking on a new challenge in a FTSE 100 business, one of the World leaders in the sector, please go get in touch.